The United States expressed "deep concern" Tuesday about the Israeli government's intention to advance construction for Israeli settlers in the city of Hebron, south of the West Bank.
Mark Toner, Deputy State Department spokesperson said the US government opposes any expansion of settlement activity and considers this step to erode peace efforts.
"Certainly if these reports are true, it would appear to be an effort to expand civilian Israeli settlement in the city of Hebron, and that would represent a deeply concerning step of settlement expansions - settlement expansion, rather, on land that is at least partially owned by the Palestinians," Toner said.
"We strongly oppose all settlement activity, which is corrosive to the cause of peace. And we've said repeatedly such moves are not consistent with Israel's stated desire to achieve a two-state solution."
Earlier this year the Defense Ministry issued a planning permit for several housing units for Jews in city's H2 area, which is under full Israeli control.