KIMBERLEY, The authorities in South Africa's Northern Cape Province are stepping up efforts to contain an outbreak of listeriosis after four cases were reported in the province where one person has died and three more are receiving treatment.
In December, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi announced that 557 cases of the food-borne disease were reported countrywide.
Listeriosis is food poisoning caused by eating foods contaminated with the Listeria monocytogenes bacterium. In pregnant women, the infection can result in miscarriage, premature delivery, serious infection of the newborn, or even stillbirth.
Most of the cases reported so far are in Gauteng, Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces.
The Northern Cape provincial health department says it is teaming up with other departments to prevent the spread of the disease.
The department's spokesperson, Lebogang Majaha, said Wednesday: The sole intent is to ensure that they co-ordinate all activities around the outbreak of listeriosis around the province.
Motsoaledi urged people experiencing symptoms of listeriosis to seek immediate medical attention.
At least 36 people have died of the disease throughout the country.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK